Sunday, October 14, 2012

S.O.L. Train so far...

So here's what's happened so far:

-First week of school: Started using "S.O.L. Train:Come On and Ride into Social Studies."
-Second week of school: My ESOL students, who could barely speak English, were reciting parts of the "Quality Students" song.  Ex: "My name is...and Quality Students do it right."
-Third week of school: Vietnamese ESOL student comes to me and says, "Mrs. Beckner, Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y, Quality Students do it right!" Hispanic ESOL student can't recognize the letter L, but connects it with a lyric from the song, "we love to learn."
-Last week I was reading "Alphabet Rescue," where the lower case letters are helping the upper case letters put out a fire.  One of my students says, "Look Mrs. Beckner, it's like 't-team working together'."  Another student chimed in and said, "Yeah that's like the song."  I couldn't believe how quickly these children were able to infer concepts from the song in another context.  Even I couldn't have predicted the positive effects of this product!

No comments:

Post a Comment